Computer – Applications
Following list demonstrates various applications of computers in today’s arena.
A computer has high speed of calculation, diligence, accuracy, reliability, or versatility which made it an integrated part in all business organisations.
Computer is used in business organisations for:
- Payroll calculations
- Sales analysis
- Financial forecasting
- Managing employees database
- Maintenance of stocks etc.
Today banking is almost totally dependent on computer.
Banks provide following facilities:
- Banks provide online accounting facility, which includes current balances, deposits, overdrafts, interest charges, shares, and trustee records.
- ATM machines are making it even easier for customers to deal with banks.
Insurance companies are keeping all records up-to-date with the help of computers. The insurance companies, finance houses and stock broking firms are widely using computers for their concerns.
Insurance companies are maintaining a database of all clients with information showing
- procedure to continue with policies
- starting date of the policies
- next due installment of a policy
- maturity date
- interests due
- survival benefits
The computer has provided a lot of facilities in the education system.
- The computer provides a tool in the education system known as CBE (Computer Based Education).
- CBE involves control, delivery, and evaluation of learning.
- The computer education is rapidly increasing the graph of number of computer students.
- There are number of methods in which educational institutions can use computer to educate the students.
- It is used to prepare a database about performance of a student and analysis is carried out on this basis.
In marketing, uses of computer are following:
- Advertising – With computers, advertising professionals create art and graphics, write and revise copy, and print and disseminate ads with the goal of selling more products.
- At Home Shopping – Home shopping has been made possible through use of computerised catalogues that provide access to product information and permit direct entry of orders to be filled by the customers.
Computers have become important part in hospitals, labs, and dispensaries. The computers are being used in hospitals to keep the record of patients and medicines. It is also used in scanning and diagnosing different diseases. ECG, EEG, Ultrasounds and CT Scans etc., are also done by computerised machines.
Some major fields of health care in which computers are used are:
- Diagnostic System – Computers are used to collect data and identify cause of illness.
- Lab-diagnostic System – All tests can be done and reports are prepared by computer.
- Patient Monitoring System – These are used to check patient’s signs for abnormality such as in Cardiac Arrest, ECG etc.
- Pharma Information System – Computer checks Drug-Labels, Expiry dates, harmful drug’s side effects etc.
- Surgery : Nowadays, computers are also used in performing surgery.
Computers are widely used in Engineering purpose.
One of major areas is CAD (Computer aided design). That provides creation and modification of images. Some fields are:
- Structural Engineering – Requires stress and strain analysis for design of Ships, Buildings, Budgets, Airplanes etc.
- Industrial Engineering – Computers deal with design, implementation and improvement of integrated systems of people, materials and equipments.
- Architectural Engineering – Computers help in planning towns, designing buildings, determining a range of buildings on a site using both 2D and 3D drawings.
Computers are largely used in defence. Modern tanks, missiles, weapons etc. Military also employs computerised control systems. Some military areas where a computer has been used are:
- Missile Control
- Military Communication
- Military Operation and Planning
- Smart Weapons
Communication means to convey a message, an idea, a picture or speech that is received and understood clearly and correctly by the person for whom it is meant for. Some main areas in this category are:
Computers play an important role in government. Some major fields in this category are:
- Sales tax department
- Income tax department
- Male/Female ratio
- Computerization of voters lists
- Computerization of driving licensing system
- Computerization of PAN card
- Weather forecasting