Computer – Internet and Intranet
It is a worldwide system which has the following characteristics:
- Internet is a world-wide / global system of interconnected computer networks.
- Internet uses the standard Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Every computer in internet is identified by a unique IP address.
- IP Address is a unique set of numbers (such as 220.127.116.11) which identifies a computer’s location.
- A special computer DNS (Domain Name Server) is used to give name to the IP Address so that user can locate a computer by a name.
- For example, a DNS server will resolve a name http://www.quizzesbank.com to a particular IP address to uniquely identify the computer on which this website is hosted.
- Internet is accessible to every user all over the world.
- Intranet is system in which multiple PCs are connected to each other.
- PCs in intranet are not available to the world outside the intranet.
- Usually each company or organization has their own Intranet network and members/employees of that company can access the computers in their intranet.
- Each computer in Intranet is also identified by an IP Address which is unique among the computers in that Intranet.
Similarities in Internet and Intranet
- Intranet uses the internet protocols such as TCP/IP and FTP.
- Intranet sites are accessible via web browser in similar way as websites in internet. But only members of Intranet network can access intranet hosted sites.
- In Intranet, own instant messengers can be used as similar to yahoo messenger/ gtalk over the internet.
Differences in Internet and Intranet
- Internet is general to PCs all over the world whereas Intranet is specific to few PCs.
- Internet has wider access and provides a better access to websites to large population whereas Intranet is restricted.
- Internet is not as safe as Intranet as Intranet can be safely privatized as per the need.